Friday, July 26, 2013

Mondee

It's my Monday today. I've had two luxurious days off. They were WONDERFUL. The sun was shining and hot, the breeze was perfect, the trees waving and rustling lazily. My first day off I went to the beach with Maike and Celine and we lay out on a blanket in a sunny corner and ate watermelon and blueberries. I provided a knife for the watermelon. They were impressed I had a knife in my purse. Truth is, since fubman has started working at method, he has indulged in a bit of a knife addiction. Not only did he buy a rainbow-coloured array of throwing knifes, but also a machete, a practical rope-cutting knife for himself, and a little one for me. When I got back from the beach, I got some Gary's kitchen (chinese), and fell asleep for 3 glorious hours. I woke up as fubman came in the door, home from work, at 9:30. That night I slept for 11 hours. I still sigh with satisfaction, thinking of it.

YESTERDAY, was the best day. Shawn and I picked up Maike, and we all went to long beach to surf. Maike's a beginner like me, and we stayed together in the whitewash while Shawn paddled out to the deeper surf. It was the most fun, the best time I've EVER had trying to surf. My fear was gone - it was so sunny and sparkly, the water was so clear, you could always see the sandy bottom. I was trying out Shawn's big red long board for the first time. It was twice my size, but light and easy to turn. It caught every single wave I paddled for. I stood up for a few seconds...TWICE! I rode many a wave in a crouch, or on my stomach. It was SO MUCH FUN! I don't know what happened to my fear or resistance...they were just gone! After our surf, we separated to have showers, than Maike and I walked to the grocery store to buy some things for dinner. We'd already gone to Trilogy and gotten some seafood - some clams, some crabs, and some salmon smokies. Then we made dinner together. It was chaotic, because Shawn invited Maike to use our kitchen as well, and there just wasn't enough room! so the clams were cold by the time we ate. but delicious. I steamed them in butter and lime juice and garlic and ginger and a dash of beer. When they were finished, I added some cream to the sauce, reduced it down, and poured it over top...oh yeah, and some fresh chopped cilantro. The crabs we just boiled and dipped in butter-garlic-lime sauce. Shawn pan fried the salmon smokies and cut them up, instead of having them in ciabatta buns, but they were delicious. Maike made the most delicious potato salad and warm spinach-feta dish, and we also invited Darren over, who made a 'lish green salad with avocado and cilantro. Mmm. It was good eats. Afterwards, Darren and Maike stayed to watch some of Cloud Atlast, but we all started falling asleep, so we parted ways not long after the movie started. It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like such an amazing day! That sauce you made...um...YUM. sounds soooo delicious! And the surfing sounds fun, and it also sounds like you're making such good friends!

    ReplyDelete