Tuesday, June 5, 2012

a 'fub re-union

Me and Shawn picked Bethany up at the bus depot about a quarter after midnight. We were all tired, but Bethany and me wanted to exchange our birthday gifts for each other right away. She got me the same herbal book SHE has, which I've lusted after for years! Also a super cute little racer-back blouse-y tank, and a navy + white striped circle scarf...the one you see me wearing as a dress in the following pictures. Also a cool navy flow-y vest, and a pair of lovely, colourful strappy sandals, which I love. They are SO comfortable. 
'fub also came equipped with books that I'm must read - a welcome thing, since I haven't read a novel in ages and I've been craving it lately. 

The next day was my day off, and it began with a fruit smoothie. Fub is not one for gourmet breakfasting. After breakfast, we accompanied Shawn to Long Beach. He was going to surf, and we were going to jog. Turned out that it was too small for shawn to surf, so he just kinda hung out while Bethany and I went for a glorious jog. I lost my jogging shoes about a month ago, so Bethany brought me an old pair of Ben's. They were like white boats on my feet, as Bethany pointed out. But it was SO NICE to be able to jog again, I didn't care a w-hit. The tide was way down, so we were able to jog all the way down the beach to Schooner's cove. This involved crossing little creeks and rivers running down the beach to the ocean. 'fub was squeamish, but I sloshed right through. "how can you not mind having a wet squelchy shoe?" 'fub asked. Shrug. There's just no way around it, so. On the way back we took off our wet shoes and socks and ran barefoot. It was lovely.
After that, back in town, me and her went for a walk about Tofino. We took pictures of ourselves down at Nuk-choo point. I really have no idea how to spell that, as it's from the Nuh-Chal-Nuth (not sure how you spell THAT either) language and I'm pretty sure it's slang even for that. 'fub forgive me if I've posted any un-wanted photos...


Here you see I am sitting at 'attention'.





'fub, be thankful I didn't post the other one.


After our walk, we did some grocery shopping and had some snacks. We drew collaborative drawings and watched a movie. Then we felt like we'd been sitting around inside for too long, so we went outside to hang out in the park until fubman came home, which is when we were planning on going for a walk to Tonquin.

Bethany seemed to enjoy taking candids of me doing random things, such as climbing this here tree.


bad 'fub. Bub.



It just so happened that Shawn drove up to the park just as I was in the tree...thankfully because I needed help coming down.
Hi. I'm in a tree and I'm smug about it.


Shawn was busy with other things that evening as it happened, but this did not stop me and Bethany from enjoying a lovely walk at Tonquin. Here's 'fub making a bench pretty.


Here she is prancing along the path.  a prancing 'fub is called 'prub'.


who DOESN'T like standing under big fallen trees?


at one point, as I was taking pictures of Bethany, a couple passed us on the trail and Bethany remarked afterwards how one of them had given her a RUDE look - like she was some tourist bottom-feeder or something. Locals here can be so arrogant I tell ya what.

'fub in a golden light:



both me and Bethany rejoice at standing under fallen trees. Twins!


I cannot explain this one.




for some reason this trippy version of this photo struck me as humorous.

Some more candids Bethany took, which I played around with.



note the halo of fuzz!



Bethany said that she was being a 'real estate agent' in the pic.




We finished our walk at the lookout. It's a gorgeous place, and here is a gorgeous 'fub.




(my hair is SO FUZZY)





I thought this was a funny one of me...oh how I wish I was WAY more photogenic...



My keys (as is becoming an accidental tradition) were lost in the bowels of Shawn's truck, and when me and Bethany returned to the apartment after our walk, Shawn was not there to meet us as promised. So I had to jump the fence, in order to get to our back door. The pictures pretty much tell it. I did NOT know 'fub was taking these...







well, this is when I found out.





...(growl)


I was not happy about her catching a flash of bum, but still I thought it should be shown.

That night we watched a really good movie that Bethany recommended. The next day I had to work. Bethany and Shawn came and visited me, and brought some burritos from Tacofino. It was too busy at work for me to leave, so we all sat outside on the bench eating.  Bethany aptly described the burritos on her blog as bricks. Bricks of goodness, though. 
It was a drizzly, yet fresh day. After work me and Bethany went for a jog together in the refreshing mistiness. It revitalized us both. Nothing like a jog in the mist helping you to transcend burrito-brick heaviness... Our plan afterwards was to make a dessert, which we'd been talking about, trying to decide what to make. Finally we decided on lemon cheesecake squares. We wanted to try and reproduce the Serious Coffee ones. So we went out and bought the supplies we thought we'd need and set to work. It's tough whipping cream without blenders...not to mention cream cheese. 'fub had to warm the cream cheese over the stove before she could use it. We made a shortbread crust, and spread a generous layer of lemon curd over top. Then, a lemony cream cheese layer was thickly applied. Topped with a good layer of crumble (with coconut). It was DELICIOUS. Although my body did not respond well to the unaccustomed richness...that night I woke up in a cold sweat, sure that I was going to throw up. Luckily I didn't though. That's never happened to me before, but then again, there was a LOT of butter and cream in that dessert. 

The next day 'fub visited me again for my lunch break, and we went to Breakers. We each got "the Bruce". Turkey, bacon, cranberry sauce, cream cheese and greens. So good. here I am trying to enjoy my wrap in peace, without a pestery 'fub taking pictures. You see, I am actually a hermit, and this is my hermit face.



It was Bethany's last day, and she hung out with me for the last hour of work. It was a gloriously sunny day, so after work we pretty much went straight to Tonquin, which Bethany wanted to see again. First we hung out on the beach.






I LOVE these pictures of Bethany.






We watched another good movie that night, and then the next morning, WAY too early, we drove Bethany back to the bus depot. It was a sad 'fub that returned to the apartment where Bethany had somehow managed to leave a hole behind. That's just the way it always is. Ah well - good times await this summer! 

3 comments:

  1. love your fub good times pics. one of my faves is the sandy feet. i just like it, ok? and sorry--you are photogenic, always have been. fact. ok except when you went through the "i don't know how to smile" phase but almost every kid goes through that so it doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, I think my "i don't know how to smile" phase resulted in some pretty cute pictures though. alright, you always maintain that I'm photogenic, but I wish I could RELAX more...ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very apt recounting! I know what you mean about photogenicness, I've always wished the same for myself, alas.

    ReplyDelete