Wednesday, June 27, 2012

slump n' rise, as well as an evening on the beach

yesterday I curled up in bed and I read. I made myself a breakfast of poached egg over chick peas (avec grape seed oil and freshly ground salt n' pepper and a crushed clove of garlic), with a few sunburst orange cherry tomatoes on the side. I found it quite satisfying.
sometimes you must let yourself slump, and yesterday was one of those days where it feels as if one has no choice. emotionally and psychologically i was overwhelmed. I get like that during the ...heaviest... "time of the month". If you catch my meaning. I accept it. I watched "the notebook" and let myself cry. I had a luxurious shower. I dressed in my comfiest clothes. I did nothing all day, just let myself feel the various pressing emotions and fears. I feel as if it is a time of release.

Today, I woke up a brand new Amy! Industriously I cleaned all the dishes that had been piling up in the sink. I washed the cupboards and the outside of the fridge. I put away all clothes that had been lazily slumped here and there. I made myself a breakfast of peanut butter and jam bun, and then I resolutely put on the BennyBoats (the white jogging brick shoes that ben has graciously lent to me) and my blue ball cap and went for a jog. The responsibilities of life, which were pressing on me so heavily yesterday, today are mysteriously lifted - and seem easier to face with more enthusiasm. Perhaps I succeeded in releasing a little something yesterday, and next time it won't be so heavy.

In other news, me and shawn had a lovely evening the other day on the beach. We stuffed a backpack full of snack + beverage, along with some ripped up cardboard box for starting the fire, and walked down to a private entrance that we know of. It leads you to a bit of beach overlooking the sound, but no one else is ever there because the only entrance to it is through the yard of an abandoned house.
On the walk over I noted the sun-drenched world around me. Nodding forget-me-nots, blazing poppies, the bright green new shoots of the pines and cedars. The glow of deep sun was embracing everything. It was the kind of afternoon that makes you remember fat bumblebees tumbling through blossoms and the sound of the wind sifting through lofty leaves. also the smell of a BBQ wafting through the air, mingling with fresh sea notes, and people laughing.

At our site on the beach, shawn soon had a fire blazing. we talked of spiritual things and life and sunsets and our dream house and how much fun it would be to have a boat.
In the dark, we walked back home, smelling of beachfire and bug spray. I love summer.





4 comments:

  1. I love the way you described the sun-drenched world around you. beach bonfires are the best! I miss em. Also, I like the way you handled your 'heaviest' time o' month. It sounds about a perfect way to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya what bethany said. i love those moments when the world around you seems full of blessings and your senses tune you in to all that is wonderful and worth rejoicing over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that breakfast sounds amazing!! Good for you for having a lazy day, I agree, we all need 'em. Doesn't mean we all get them though. Also, I sometimes feel like my problems and worries fade away after a run, so that may have contributed. Endorphins and things. What a wonderful evening at the beach!! I'm getting so excited to see you!!

    ReplyDelete