Wednesday, July 4, 2012

hot cheek'd burble

A day at my new job. 
I unlock the surf shack. I turn on the light, pausing to note how it does nothing to illumine the inside of the shop whatsoever. Turn on the open sign, the radio, put the surf video on repeat. Check the book and see what's happening for the day. Check to make sure everything is ready for any upcoming lessons. Check emails on the iPhone. Sit back, and wait for people to show up for lesson, if there's a morning one. If not, I'd walk around back, pushing open the tall stiff wooden gate. I'd see if there were any wetsuits/booties that were dry and ready to come inside. I'd take care of that. While doing so, I usually look around and appreciate the peaceful, quiet area that i'm in - the wind in the trees of course, and the birds chirp-a-lurping. It has such a tranquil feel. After taking care of the wetsuits, I'd sweep, clean some windows, and stoke the fire (if there is one). After that, I'll have exhausted my options for chores. This is when I take out a book, or some paper and a pencil and start to draw. 

sound of wind whispering and carrying distant voices. sea birds calling. 

A few hours later, if there was a lesson, they'd be returning, and it's my job to be all friendly and ask them how their lesson was. Then the instructor and I clean the wetsuits and hang them up to dry.  After which I empty out the tub and fill it with clean soapy water.  Then I'll hoist myself into the unimog and sweep out all the sand. After that, if there's an afternoon lesson I might just double check everything's tickety-boo for it. If there isn't one, I once again have free time. Of course, during the course of the whole day I must answer phone calls - but the phone has never rung more than 3-4 times in one day so far. Also it's my job to text the instructors to let them know of their upcoming lessons. Occasionally some people come in to rent some gear too. so sometimes I'm kept in semi-bustling motion for most of the shift. But those are the rare days. So far. 
Today the sun was shining full force, and as I type I am nursing a sun burn...(mostly on one side of my 
body.  i.e. my right cheek and right arm...from sitting out in it with my current book for most of the day. 

I can't even believe how fortunate I am with this job. Where did it come from? It fell from the sky right into my lap. First the blessing of release from my old, miserable job - which I WAS planning on suffering through. And then right on it's heels, a most idyllic job is given to me. The kind of job I've been looking for my whole life (seriously. Mixture of stimulation/satisfying hand work and total rest? working alone?! and then on top of that the mellow vibe of the owner and his wife?? And how nice they are, and appreciative already...I really like them). I never ever would have applied for that job, either. It's like there's nothing I could do - I was going to be blessed whether I helped it along or not. Thank you Divine forces. Thank you myself, for being positive enough to let this happen.

But anyways, I have grown a brand new love of drawing. I have always before been too impatient to get very detailed when copying anything - but now it is something I'm consciously cultivating...and it has been surprisingly pleasurable and satisfying. I am mainly drawn towards drawing plants: flowers and trees and ferns. It stops your mind when you make yourself really, REALLY, look at something - exactly look at it, and try to draw exactly what it is that you see. Without fudging any one part of it. It's been challenging and fun. Perhaps, when my printer/scanner is all set up, I'll post a few of my drawings. Peh-haps. My cheek is hot. 


2 comments:

  1. wow what a great job! But....what is a unimog?! It sounds sinister! Also, how dare you use 'tickety-boo', how DARE you!!
    I'd love to see your drawings 'fub!

    ReplyDelete
  2. bethany has made the query that i most wanted to know. WHAT IS A UNIMOG??? so glad about this new job and such. and i too would love to see your drawringses. love love love to see.

    ReplyDelete