Saturday, February 8, 2014

back to the grind

this is my second day back at work. It's been quiet, but not too bad. And there's a fan blowing some heat in the building now, which makes it much more bearable - 'specially since it's been freezing cold. The kind of cold where you mindlessly dump the day's sanitizing foot bath out the back door and it freezes within the hour into a treacherous sheet of ice (which almost sent me sprawling down the stairs, as I walked out to lock the freezer in the dark). I had to send a text to my boss to warn him so he wouldn't break his neck. 
It was odd how the smell of fish when I first walked back into the building after my month-and-a-week vacation was a good smell. I…I liked it. 
So, anyway, I'm going to have to look for another job to fill in the gaps, because Trilogy's only going to be open on weekends for now. There's no where I want to work. I checked on the avemployment site (alberni valley), and the jobs listed there are all for Wick (no. NO!), and various other housekeeping, resort jobs. Or restaurant jobs. for line cooks and serving staff and stuff like that. Another resounding no. 
On the other hand, after coming home from cali, I went through this painting frenzy and covered up every single one of the 8 canvasses I got for Christmas. Plus some others that had old worn-out paintings on them. I've been renewed by vacation, and more than that - coming HOME, and also by using oil paints again. I'm more confident in my painting skills. I am thinking of taking these around town and attempting to sell them at coffee shops. Who knows? come summer, could be a fun source of extra income! :D
I was so buoyant when I got back from vacation. Now I have to rise above the ruts of routine. I've been craving a place with more light (light would help. it's so dark in here. all the time!!). Shawn and I have been talking about attempting to move to an apartment maybe on the second floor of our current building. They get WAY more light, as I know from when Maike lived upstairs. Speaking of Maike, I miss that lovely person. We correspond, but it's not the same as having a besty living in the same building as one. 
Oh, a job maybe is the coffee shop I used to work at. They have a new location now in town. Actually…right across the street pretty much from Trilogy. I go there a bunch to get coffee before work. The owner mentioned, one of those times, that he may be starting a bakery section for his shop. I'd so be into that. I'd like to do something down-to-earth. Actually it's kind of a MUST. a need. He told me during that conversation, when I mentioned having worked at a bakery before, to "dive in" - but it was probably just one of those things people say and don't really mean. I walked in there the other day, too, and his wife was just leaving, having dropped off some freshly baked cookies. ERgh (my hope dwindles). 

There's a new place to eat in town. Well technically an old place that's been totally remodelled and given a new name and new menu…so pretty much a new place. They bake their OWN DONUTS. flavours such as maple-glazed with bacon. REAL bacon. Chocolate with sea-salted caramel glaze. And classics too, like the boston cream and jelly-filled. Shawn and I finally tried one the other day. We shared it, because they're all huge. the maple-bacon one. It was really good. Not mind-blowing, melt-into-a-puddle good. It probably WOULD have been that good fresh, though. we went at the end of the day, to be fair. The glaze was quality. It had a home-made taste. Def going again when I need a sugar fix. OH. come see me and get some donuts!!

2 comments:

  1. hey give the bakery thing a try! you never know, you know? i understand the yearning for more light. that was a big factor in my last move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey how did I miss this post? I agree with labee--give the bakery thing the ol' one-two! Those donuts sounds amazing. I'd have tried the sea salty one. Why don't you take your paintings to art galleries? Just do it. So many ppl who aren't as good as you do. And even if they don't want em, at least you know more of what they would want. Just a thought. The coffee shop painting thing is a good idea too. Remember, Tofino would totes pounce on the fact that you are a local talent. They'd be all over it. There's probs a whole artist community there just waiting to embrace you!

    ReplyDelete