Sunday, February 2, 2014

fresh air

Today I walked into town to get some needed things and to visit shawn at work. Had to stop out behind The Shore building to look out over the Sound. Since I've been back from vacation, I haven't been able to get enough of how peaceful it is here. Today, it smelt like spring, and the birds were singing as if it were.
Just as I started to write this post, I happened to look out my sliding glass door and saw that the sky behind the dark tree silhouettes was streaked with fuchsia and orange. so I went out and indulged in feeling and smelling and viewing the beautifulness.
 I've definitely been feeling the post-vacay blues, but also I've been so uplifted by this trip. It's given me new strength. Shawn and I have done a lot to organize our place, and we've been keeping it clean. I like lighting a tea candle under my defuser, which is equipped with a fat slice of cotton-scented wax, and letting loose a few precious drops of the oil France made for me into it. It's a mix of sandalwood, lavender, and orange essential oils mixed together in jojoba oil. I consulted her on the mix when I was reading my chakra book, which encouraged using oils in a defuser to help get one into a calm and meditative state. She told me that an ideal mix has a low note (sandalwood), a middle note (lavender), and a high note - obviously orange. I chose them for both love of scent and for their properties. They're also all good for the skin, so that's a double use.

I got so used to going out to the beach every single day and just enjoying the simple things when I was on vacation, that I have been keeping up the habit of going out every day just to enjoy the fresh air. The weather's been pretty obliging. We've had one or two days of rain since we've been back. I mean, it's cold, but I won't complain if it doesn't rain. Rain is what keeps me inside. Cold rain.
A couple of days ago, Shawn had his days off, and we spent a lot of time at Cox bay. The weather was mostly sunny and cold. The beach was amazing. When the sun shines, and turns the usually grey-green water into shades of sapphire blue and aqua and deep blue-green, and the froth of the waves is as white as it's possible for white to be…it's a place that has no equal. The surf-hardened expanse of sand, rippled like the waves, and criss-crossed with silvery sand-dust which gleams when the sun shines on it - so beautiful. The huge breadth of space. The sigh and heave of surf. The solitary "ha" of a passing raven.

Anyway Shawn is back from work now, and I'm going to start some dinner. Salad. And pizza.

1 comment:

  1. for someone who eats so much pizza, you oughta be more tubby!
    your description of the beach--SO BEAUTIFUL. You are so talented at descriptions.
    just so you can feel a lil smug--while Tofino is being obliging and spring-like, it's been -23 here, and it's supposed to get to-30. So--yah, (sigh).

    ReplyDelete