Tuesday, November 6, 2012

open mic night

The other night, Shawn and I went to open mic night at Jack's pub. We'd never gone together before. We rarely go out on the town, quite frankly. It's something I want to change, because it's so much fun to go out there and meet people and see familiar faces in that kind of environment and feel more a part of the community. But, it DOES usually end up costing a chunk of money. Thus why going out more remains a dream at this point. But open mic was a lot of fun! Tony, who owns Tony's pizza (shawn's new boss for the winter) was having his staff party and they joined us after a few hours - which meant free calamari and chicken wings - yay. The music was actually enjoyable too. I wasn't sure what to expect. A local guy, Chester, and the radio DJ, Geoff, pretty much dominated most of the night. Word on the street is that they dominate pretty much every open mic. But they were really good. They played some solid covers. Chester makes me and Shawn laugh because he acts like a rock star about his open mic status. Oh, and did I mention that the evil white cockatoo on Rio IS Chester? Not only does he have the exact accent, but there is something more...essence of Chester....in that character. i'm not sure how they did it, but they did.
At the end of the night when we got up to leave, an incident happened when I got up and attempted to walk over to where Shawn was standing, waiting for me. I found my way suddenly and squarely blocked by a tall dude with a pony-tail (I recognized him from his singing earlier in the night). I literally could not walk around him - I tried, and then gave up, and resigned myself for an awkward experience. Who does that?? Who TRAPS someone so they can talk to them? I mean, he had to have seen how I was peering around him for a way out. Anyway, as soon as I mentioned Shawn he was gone as suddenly as he had appeared, side-stepping neatly onto the dance floor and melting into the crowd of dancers. Aside from that brief awkward interlude though, it was a fun night.

I have a craving to make something super yummy. like a hearty french onion soup.

2 comments:

  1. we were absent bloggers for around the same amount of time. weiwd. open mic sounds fun and you should have kneed that guy in the family jewels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol on your cockatoo comparison. haha!

    Ugh--don't like that guy's way of picking up girls. At least he was respectful of Shawn though uh?

    DOOOO IT. Make french onion soup. Topped with baked biscuit and melty cheese. Do it now.

    ReplyDelete