Wednesday, March 6, 2013

gardening in the sun

Today after eating breakfast - actually, I must stop for a moment here at breakfast, because it was so amazing. Raspberry smoothies. The flavour was so intense, perfectly sweet and tangy...ahhh. I wish I could have them every day for breakfast, but frozen fruit is very expensive here. Anyways, after breakfast and coffee, Shawn and I went down the road to one of his gardening clients and I helped him work for a bit. The client was gone, so it was just us, and it was peaceful to be quietly working in the mellow sun. I was hoeing weeds along the front garden path. Damp, clay-like mud squished up my fingernails as I worked and dug my hands into the ground. There was a soft hum of birdsong in the background, mingled with voices lightly floating on the warm breeze. Up close to the garden, my face was tickled by leaves and fronds and insects. I moved on to deadheading and pruning some hydrangeas, which was very satisfying. We worked for only about an hour, and then we were done. Just as we were finishing, I stood up and then stopped mid-stoop, noting some weeds I'd missed, and staying in my half-stooped position (in my hurry) I pulled them out - only to pinch a nerve in my lower back. So now here I am waiting for that to fade. It's mostly gone now.

I'm playing with garageband. Quite frankly, I was inspired by the movie "pitch perfect", and now I want to learn a lot more about mixing and re-mixing tracks, so that I can actually produce something album-worthy. I just find it extremely enjoyable, stimulating, satisfying, and zen. Garageband is limited though. My dream is to get my hands on a real DJ program. I'm not worried or thinking about where it will take me money-wise, I just really want to pursue this thing I love, and live more IN it. I'd like to purchase a laptop so I can go outside when I mix tracks and completely trance out.

I'll leave you with some photos of Tonquin.







2 comments:

  1. you live in an amazing place and frankly, you know it. the ground here is still frozen, and to think you are gardening there!! Maybe I complain too much about WL.
    ennehways, I can't wait to see what you do with a DJ program!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should ask evan about it. i'm sure he'd have some advice or tips on programs you can get. love your gardening descriptions!

    ReplyDelete