Sunday, August 4, 2013

fragrant and fresh

Well, I suppose all this work is starting to take it's toll. In the form of me hurting myself, mainly. The flailing 'fub of danger.

Shawn had to work at 6am this morning, and I didn't get off work last night until 11:30 (2 and a half hours of over-time!!!woo!!) - an early day, though, compared to that 2am shift...but I slept right through his waking up and leaving. I woke with a start at 7:30 and felt the emptyness beside me at once. When one is accustomed to waking up enveloped in warm arms and snuggled against a furry, pillowy chest, this is extremely unsatisfying. I got up, bleary-eyed, and fed Eastre some fresh salmon. Then I went back to bed and tried to sleep, because I knew I needed it. Soon a full and happy Eastre joined me, nudging her soft little head under the covers and curling up against my belly, purring loudly. I think that's what helped me finally relax and drift off again.

when I woke up again, still cuddling with a purring cat, it was 10. My stomach was grumbling, so I sautéed some onions in butter and proceeded to make some scrambled eggs, with a sprinkling of freshly diced tomato and the rest of the cold smoked salmon trim I'd saved and vacuum-packed at work while slicing the cold smoke (Britt told me I could keep it). It was sooo good. I toasted half a bun and ate it with that. Then I made myself some coffee.

I've realized that without a challenge, thrive I do not. I wilt. That is why this job has been so great for me. It's constantly challenging me, and I am loving the feeling of expansion. Being challenged brings out the best in me. I suppose that's true of most people. I realized that I even love the confusing challenge of learning how to get along with different kinds of people. Even if I am often naive and embarrassingly open, I'd rather be out there in the middle of it all than hiding outside of it all. These exciting dynamics bring new vigour and life and satisfaction. Falls and pains, too, but it's worth it.

2 comments:

  1. i agree! and i want some smoked salmon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I missed this post! mmmm. you are always eating smoked salmun. one might even say that you rubbed it in other's faces. that's not very nice. *grump*
    I agree with what you said about challenges. I've noticed that in the past, at new jobs, for the first few days I enjoy going. But once it's no longer a challenge, then I start to hate it. yeh. Of course, having kids is a continuous challenge. a never ending challenge. *smug*

    ReplyDelete