Monday, June 24, 2013

cuppa

Last night our Serbian neighbour made us a special ethnic dish called Sarma, made with sour cabbage and some sort of flavourful meat mixture. it was delicious. We sat out on their patio and visited until midnight. He had some people over from his work, and more people kept dropping by. There was a little blonde girl who you could tell was new in town. It's funny how you can tell. People that have just moved here are like, high on something. It was like me when I moved here, which is why I recognize it. They're all pumped up and full of excitement, and this kind of open sociality. They're kind of like giant bubbles that you'd really like to pop. (haha. jk) It's also the summer energy. Tofino suddenly becomes rife with social opportunities. The most fun things - beach fires and parties, spontaneous meetings with awesome and interesting people, sushi on the patio overlooking the Sound, camping, boating, surfing, hiking, fishing, live music. I love Tofino in the summer. Our neighbour plays the guitar outside most nights now that it's nice, and one of our other neighbours, a cheerful plump grizzly-bearded bandana-wearing bike-riding man, sings with him. He's got a voice like Tom Waits. It's seriously awesome to hear - like a free Taj Mahal concert. Now is also the time you're most likely to hear bits and pieces of music floating on the air wherever you go. That's a happiness of mine. Hearing stolen bits of music.

I work today at 2. I found out yesterday as I was walking home from work in the rain, that my co-worker, who moved here from Scotland, is living in a van! I encountered her as she was returning from having a shower at some public washroom. it was such a miserable day, I couldn't imagine going back to a VAN. so today I'm thinking of inviting her over after work for a shower and a cup of tea!


2 comments:

  1. good idea! oh you DO make summer in tofino sound appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your new skin, and love the description of tofino in summer. i would totally have that new person euphoria stamped all over my being. i do have it every time i go! and i never thought about that--the stolen bits of music--so true! what a nice idea about the scottish-van-girl. personally i'd want to be her friend just because of her scottish accent.

    ReplyDelete