Thursday, June 27, 2013

Mysterious Coincidences/I come across a project

Let me start this at the beginning. About a year and a half ago, in the dreary months right before spring, I had just finished reading a book all about mysterious coincidences. It was a spiritual adventure book - AWESOME, in case you were wondering. One of the things it said was that when you make direct eye contact with a person, like - when you both look directly into each other's eyes at the exact same moment, especially if it happens more than once, there's something you two have to say to each other. something you mutually have to give. After I read that, that very day, I went out into the world determined to see if this was so. We went to Wildside, and in the gravel parkinglot, I immediately looked right into the eyes of this man I'd never seen before. A little while later, it happened again. And then again for a 3rd time. Each time I'd be totally spacing out, and then just happen to look, and it'd happen. I noticed because I was looking for it, but this guy was some stranger, and I couldn't imagine there was anything I'd have to offer this random older person. so I kind of let the whole thing go, and forgot about it.

A month later, Shawn and I moved into our new apartment. And guess who's our next door neighbour? Yeah, you guessed it - it's that man I made eye contact with 3 times in the parking lot at wild side. When I found that out, it reminded me of the eye contact thing, and I wondered about it. It's always been tickling at the back of my mind. And it's been growing - I've been feeling restless about it, even. Like, somehow, I KNEW there was a reason he's our neighbour. And I knew we had to talk. But it hadn't happened yet. He chatted with Shawn, but was shy of me or something.

Anyway, fast forward to the past month or two. Like I said, we've been becoming friends with our neighbours. There's the eye-contact guy, and his roommate, a really sweet girl from Germany who I hit it off with right away (as an aside I just found out that she's an Aries sun, Cancer moon, just like me!! ). Many nights that would have been lonely in the past are now spent visiting with them. Last night was one of those nights. eye-contact man is annoying to write. his name is Milos. he made us dinner the other night, so last night I went over to return his dishes, and ended up staying and spending the entire evening with Milos and his roommate, Maike (pronounced "Mika") until late at night. Shawn came and joined us after his surf and a few other people dropped by later. But the point is, Milos told me all about this beautiful project he has in mind. A dream of his. He's learning to carve wood, so far he's only carved smaller things (but they're amazing - a soft, smooth-as-silk rounded box with a hummingbird shaped on the top, a wavy bowl made from a beryl with a flowy sun shaped in the middle, a firestone gleaming from the centre of the sun. for example) but with this idea, he's partnering up with a Native carver. It's a statue, and he got the idea from the statue of liberty. I won't write about it, because this is public and it's his idea, but I got goosebumps when he told me of it. I was moved. So then, he told me, he's had this idea for 2 years, and this carver who's going to do it with him is wanting to order the block of wood for it, but he needs a drawing of the idea. and he's never been able to find someone who'll do it, or who could do it good enough.

!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'LL DO IT!

I said I'd do it and he was beyond thrilled. He asked to see some of my drawings, and I apprehensively brought out one of my old sketchbooks and a few dusty paintings, and his reaction was to be even MORE thrilled. When this happened I immediately thought of the eye-contact thing. I feel like, this is the reason!! this is the reason why I FELT that!! All of a sudden I'm involved in this amazing, powerful project! It's got me motivated, inspired, excited. and I'm helping someone out, too! And in the process I met Maike, who I adore already. We're going to have an art night this week and learn how to make dream catchers.

And that is probably a good point to end this post!

3 comments:

  1. that made me cry. just that moment when he said he needed someone to draw it. i got electricity all over my skin too. that's so neat! to me it's like another way that God cares so much about each of us and even the beautiful projects we want to do etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I feel that way too Laura! especially since I've been asking for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooo! that is so exciting!! I can't wait to learn more about this beautiful project!
    oh n if you learn how to make dream catchers, i want one.

    ReplyDelete