Friday, June 7, 2013

Yesterday in the cooling sun of evening Shawn and I rode our mountain bikes to top ridge and spent 2 hours winding our way through the trails. I had many thrilling break-through moments where I'd (for example) ride right up and over a log that had every other time caused me to dismount and walk over. There was also this hill that I always stop at because right at the top there's quite a large root that causes a step - a drop - down to the steepest part of the hill - and right after THAT there's a rock shelf with another foot or two drop down, and right after THAT the trail bends sharply. the two drops I can handle psychologically from experience, knowing that my bike will do all the work for me and it will actually be quite smooth - it's the sharp bend at the bottom, when I know I'll be going really fast. It's always the sharp bend at the bottom!

anyway, I did it, after a few false starts, but instead of taking the sharp bend I instead skidded to a stop straight into a leafy salal bush. But still it was victorious! and not all sharp bends got me this time. I was practicing looking where I wanted to go, instead of at where I didn't want to go. makes alll the difference.

huffing and puffing with the inevitable red face and sweaty bangs, through the quiet forest, was a lot of fun. After we'd had our fill of riding, we made our way to the river, a part where it was shallow, streaming over large, round, colourful rocks. I stripped to my bathing suit and waded up to my knees. No more, because riding home wet would've been miserable.

Shawn basked at the river's edge in the sunlight. It was beautiful there. I wish there was such an accessible river in Tofino.

so yeah, we're in p-ville right now. it's another sunny day. Shawn's parents have left for work. I'm in the kitchen where I have the computer set up on the table. beside me the sliding glass door is open to the back porch, which is all leafy and whispery and dappled in sun. Birdsong is shimmering in the background. I spy a tall purple foxglove spike under the plum tree. Feels like summer!

1 comment:

  1. mountain biking sounds so fierce! you are a tough old fub. er...why don't you pin your bangs back before exercising? :o

    ReplyDelete