Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Shawn and I walked into town today during a brief respite in the rain. It started pouring again as we were buying our groceries, and kept on like that, off and on. I hope we don't get another boil water advisory, but it isn't nearly as bad yet as it was last winter when it rained for 2 weeks straight. We've been relatively dry this winter. I'm just not used to it.

Our place...is a mess. We've been pretty good at keeping things organized since Christmas, but for the past couple days both Shawn and I have been in a slump (perhaps weather induced?) - and that is ALL it took for chaos to creep back in. I shudder at the thought of the crusty pile of dishes in the sink. And that is just one of many things that need attending to. This morning, rather than face the dishes, we went out to the Common Loaf for breakfast. We shared a plump curried vegetable tart with chutney and a small cup of coffee. for once, there was the small window seat in the corner available. It's a perfect people watching spot, affording a close-up view of first st through the shrubbery. We stayed and talked for a while, enjoying ourselves, until a rush of people invaded the room and Shawn immediately became distracted and uncomfortable.  He is very sensitive...doesn't take well to crowds (and never had to deal with them growing up in Parksville and moving straight on to Tofino..). I find it very interesting comparing us on these points, because I'm also very sensitive, but have developed a very useful tuning-out tool that I seem to put in place automatically. I never hear people's conversations, unless I think to concentrate on them, which is hardly ever. But Shawn can't stop from hearing what people around him are saying. It must be pretty distracting.

I remember one time, at an Indian restaurant, getting so engrossed in my mango lhasi that I effectively tuned out the entire restaurant and forgot anyone else was around...it was just me, me and the mango lhasi, which was engulfing me in blissful sweetness...
next thing I knew, Andreas was laughing at me and I realized I had been energetically trying to suck the last little bits of lhasi from the glass, and it was very noisy...so noisy that people around me were shooting me furtive glances.  It's one of the few times I have legitimately blushed in my life.

Sigh...moving on. I can't leave the post on that note. Me and the exercise ball are becoming reluctant acquaintances again. I can't wait for the rain to stop so I can put my running shoes back on!
For now, I will go make a pot of tea and curl up with a book.




5 comments:

  1. I say run in the rain! Why not? (easier for me to say than actually do, but once you get out and actually do it, you stop noticing after the first few minutes.)I'm ready for spring though. Fo sho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll run in light-to-moderate rain, but not a deluge that reduces paths and roads to rivers! :)

      Delete
  2. haha about the lhasi! I can so imagine you doing that. I've got that tune-out tool too. I think family potlucks helped me to develop it.
    It's hard to get out of a slump. sooo been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think coming from a large family helps in said tool development. But it is also,the difference between being a visual learner and an auditory one. If you are predominantly visual, you will find it easier to tune out sound than say a visual mess. If you are predominantly auditory, the opposite is true. Auditory learners usually take a bit longer to learn to read and are more easily distracted by classroom sounds which can be harder in the younger grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was going to say it was a big family thing too. i can tune out like nobody's business. well it's not just tuning out, it's tuning in on one particular thing. like the mango lhasi, a worthy topic of tuning i might add. i think being a big time reader helps too. when you read the whole world falls away and suddenly it's 4am and you haven't noticed anything for 8 hours. am i right?

    i'm sure glad you're back on the world wide webbage.

    ReplyDelete