Wednesday, February 20, 2013

soobly and grustus reunion

I never wrote about Soobus' visit. Probably because the night after they left, Shawn was up all night being sick, and then it was valentine's day, and I just got swept away. But, it was a fun visit. Her boyfriend is a Capricorn (the mountain goat) - and he really did like to "butt heads", always bringing up subtly controversial points with an eager gleam in his eye. I found myself debating with him a bit, but it was all in good fun. He was funny and very polite, and made us an amazing breakfast that included a sinful mound of bacon on a plate (he made the entire package), and toasted melty breakfast sandwiches with avocado (and more bacon, obviously). Shawn went for a surf that day, so I took them around town. We mostly just wandered around, talking. We attempted to make a fire at Mackenzie, but everything was so damp it didn't work out. we ended up back at the apartment with a pizza, playing rock band all night. It was a lot of fun. They had to leave at 6:30 the next day. It was rather like a whirlwind.
While Soob was here, she told me she wanted to buy me a bus ticket to come see her (she is, er, quite substantial these days. not weight-wise). I really hope this happens. I realized while she was here, that there's a reason I've never lost touch with her. She's really rare in how charismatic and popular she is, yet down to earth, sensitive, and respectful of different people.  I can talk to her about anything. Also - there is the fact that she is the only other person I've met (outside the family) who has almost the same sense of humour as I. So, bottom line is, I'm really glad that the whole friend thing is rolling again with her.

Also, here in Tofino, life is slowly gaining in excitement. Shawn has met some really cool people through working at Tony's this winter, people I really like the vibes of.  We've been invited to two different social gatherings with them coming up soon. Tofino's starting to seem....friendlier. I know that it's me, mellowing out, too. I haven't been so very lonely this winter - so focussed on what I don't have. Actually I realized that, even though my family/loved ones don't necessarily live close by, I have been supported my whole life by this immense web. It made me think of people that grow up without a family. I literally never realized until a few days ago how much I've always depended on this invisible web of support. It's made me brave. I don't feel sorry for myself about that sort of thing anymore - it just sort of went away.  Yeah! Good news! (as Lore, my old boss, would say.)

Anehway, that's it fer now.


2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and soob are still such good friends. Sounds like such a nice visit! (If she buys you a bus ticket, I will email you some money so you can buy me some Victoria clothes!)

    ReplyDelete