Thursday, April 12, 2012

Parental Beets Come for a Visut

When ma and pop were here, this is what we did.

-Firstly, mom had told me that they were going to arrive Monday eve, but had not answered my email asking the time they expected to get here. I thought that they would call us. We live in an apartment, and we don't have a buzzer, so it was something we needed to know. However, unbeknownst to me they didn't have Shawn's # - and apparently no one else has it. (I know that Labee and 'fub have it though, so that is faulty!) Anyways, what this is all leading up to is the fact that around 9:45 I had pretty much figured that they were going to come the next morning. Me and Shawn were in bed, when I heard some pounding out in the hall. I immediately had that inkling...I said to Shawn, "wouldn't that be funny if that was mom and dad? But naw...! They would have called!" Right then Shawn's phone started ringing. It was the apartment manager, and she sounded all in a panic. She said there was a "large man" who "claimed" he was my father trying to get into the building. Oh boy. I stuck my head out the door, and sure enough there was a startled ma and pop beet. Ahahaha. Had a chuckle over that later...especially the fact that the landlady didn't believe that Dad WAS my dad. (she's an extreme feminist I think)
After the surprise wore off, we all sat around and chatted until around 11:30.

-The next morning I was all pumped (of course) to make breakfast! Shawn ended up making it though, because Dad had requested an omelet, and Shawn has a fabulous way of making them, but I fried up some bacon and toasted english muffins, discreetly drinking coffee on the side. I thought it seemed as though Dad was warming up to Shawn, talking about his gardening (NOT landscaping. different thing.) business. He even wanted to go and help weedwack while Shawn was mowing, but that was because he had conveniently forgotten about his shoulder for a moment. Shawn was very happy that Dad had offered though, it made him feel really good.

-After breakfast, when Shawn finally tore himself away to go mow some lawns (me and mom kept urging him to leave, so that he'd be able to hang out with us sooner, but he is a champion fumferer), I took mom and dad for a walk to Tonquin beach, which is about 5 minutes from where I live. I love Tonquin, especially when the tide is out - because then you can explore around the rocky outcrops to a beach that is unaccessible during the high tide, and the rocks are full of tidal pools and starfish and the cliff face is just very beautiful and rugged. So we HAD checked to make sure the tide was going to be out, but when we got there it was just high enough so that we couldn't go on to the next beach. But we had fun anyways, exploring some rocky 'nooks n' crannies', pointing out tree species and the few lovely homes overlooking the beach. For the first time since I've lived here, the beach was completely empty except for us! It was grand. There weren't even any footsteps!

-Dad had a nap after the walk (during which we all discussed his genius for story-telling, and I suggested he tape a story and let me type it out and illustrate, and then have it published...it'd say by Doug Clarke, illustrated by Amy Clarke! Lovely, eh?) and me n' mom sat around and chatted...she showed me a beeautiful song performance by The Piano Guys and a singer who looked to be of African origin...the song is called "Peponi" and it's filmed on a mountain top and it is quite powerful. I recommend y'all look it up.

-We woke a slumbering Bear-dad and picked Shawn up and Dad took us all out for Wildside! (Wildside grill). He got Halibut n' chips, mom got the salmon burger (with smoked tomato relish...DELISH), Shawn got the special chicken burger (with arugula, avocado, feta...SO GOOD. haha I am just so enthused about good food) and I got fish tacos. The sun was shining and we ate our meal around a table in the open air. At one point dad decided to tease a Stellar Jay that was scrutinizing us closely. He held up a fry until the Jay made a pass at it (almost touching dad's head with his wings). Those Stellars are cheeky lill guys.

-We ALL napped after that, aside from Shawn who went back to work. In the evening, when Shawn came home, we played Skip-bo (me n' mom kicked Shawn n' dad's butts), ate some pizza, chatted a bunch, played some greed...at around llpm dad and shawn had the munchies, and dad sent Shawn off to Shelter to get some wings (dad) and yam fries (Shawn). I did not understand how they could possibly be hungry. Men, I suppose. Anyways, we wanted to watch a movie but it was a big fiasco trying to get one started for one reason or another, and by the time we started one it was past midnight, and none of us made it past the beginning. oh well.

-The next morning I made dad some poached eggs, while mom munched on her bran cereal + almond milk. Me and shawn had oatmeal. Everyone partook of bacon. Then we set off for Cox Bay. We walked around the rocky sections, which are always my favourite parts. I took pictures with mom's camera. And then they left to catch their ferry.

-Back at home I missed their cheerful presence way more than anticipated. Like I mentioned before, something in me that had been all knotted up, relaxed and opened while they were here. It was so wonderful to be around the two people who I absolutely know I can be myself around. I just love 'em SO MUCH! :D I have the best parents ever.

5 comments:

  1. I love that you're posting so regularly now!! I enjoyed reading about your visit with Mom and Dad, I could picture it perfectly in my mind. I too am excited by good food. I bet the fish tacos were amazing. For some reason the sentence "Everyone partook of bacon" made me laugh. I know what you mean, after they visited me, it was hard to shake the sad feeling that kept creeping in my stomach. Actually I feel that way whenever family visits me. I get a case of the blues when they leave. I never really thought about it being because of their unconditional love for me though...nice insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stott!! I'm glad you appreciate my posts! I know, come to think of it I always get the blues when ANY family comes and visits and then leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like such a lovely time! That's so funny about your landlady not believing dad! He still intimidates people even at over 70! hehe.

    Thanks for talking about all the good food you guys ate. The yummy food is always an integral part of a visit.

    That walk on the beach sounds perfect and I'm going to go look up that song now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i LOVE that you are posting regularly now too. and i know what you mean about that strengthened feeling. sometimes you realize "hey this is exactly what i needed." it's unconditional love and also a place where you always belong and fit and where people get you without trying. it's home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I did comment but it isn't here!

    ReplyDelete