Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Dreaming of Cahors

I walked to the Coop this morning in flip flops and my winter jacket. There was a fine, chilly drizzle and my feet were soon numb. Why? Well, I suppose I was stubbornly hoping it was still going to be warm enough for flip flops, even though for the past week it's grown chilly and wet. Anyway, at the Coop I bought two artichokes, a pound of butter, a red onion, a wedge of parmesan, and a carton of eggs. Shawn and I are going to have artichokes with hollandaise, roasted asparagus and tomatoes and a ceasar salad tonight for dinner. Lots of greens. The past two nights I made hamburger gravy and had it over rice with a fried egg, loco-moco style. I heard from Soobin' that two days eating meat a week is for most people an optimal amount. 

I'm excited about the artichokes. Last time I had them was when I was staying on a barge in France. Perhaps my spontaneous decision to have them for dinner tonight is due to how much I've been thinking of that France trip lately. It's the story I'm working on that's responsible, because it's starting out with a group trip experience in France. I chose places I've been, because I feel to write a good story about a place, you need to have experienced it yourself. In researching for my story, I found out that Cahors, the Medieval city I spent one short day in, is a very interesting, old city that used to be a major place in Medieval times, with a large University (which was lost in the 18th century). It also has a very Mediterranean feel, due to it's closeness to the coast. I also discovered that the huge, outdoor market, which I was entranced by, was in what's called the Medieval Quarters. Anyway, the research I did made me want to back there SO badly. I remember that day we were there I wished we could stay - but we were only there so I could go to the hospital and get my eye fixed. It had some weird infection that was really painful - felt like there was something in my eye all the time, but there wasn't. I'd been to pharmacies and nothing had helped, but at the hospital they finally gave me something that got rid of it. And they were so, SO nice there. 

What I miss most about my stay in France are the long walks. The last place I stayed in, Saint Cirq Lapopie, had a quiet walk along the river, where we came upon a huge old stone estate right on the water, with a huge water courtyard for boats. The thing I remember most is how peaceful it felt there. That's why I want to go back. It was so beautiful, warm, and peaceful - and so were the people. I was so happy just being there. The second thing I miss is waking up early and walking to the invariable bakery for freshly baked goods. The third thing is the outdoor markets and the exciting things you'd find there and eat for dinner. Fourth: cheese. 'nuff said. Overall, what I miss most about traveling is the freedom and sense of adventure that permeates every day. I'd have to travel a LOT to get tired of that. 

Last night I had a nightmare that I was called into work and couldn't think of a good excuse quick enough to say no. Phewph! 


1 comment:

  1. your book is going to be so good and I can hardly wait to read ut! Man you make france sound sooo nice. I wanna go.

    ReplyDelete