Friday, May 10, 2013

Scaleitis

As I was uselessly trying to scrub my arms clean today after bagging 100's of pieces of fish, Brit came upon me.
"are you ok?" she asked with concern, probably noting the look on my face. In answer I looked up at her and asked,
"do you ever feel like you're growing scales?" A look of understanding flitted across her expression, and she quickly moved back to her chores.
"all the time," she said.

It's just that...the cumulative effect of bagging that much fish is rather alarming on the skin. It DOES look exactly like you've grown scales as part of your skin (because they are see-through, they become flesh-coloured) - and after awhile it looks like your skin is flaking off. Add that with the fish blood that mixes in with it all - and it definitely looks like i have some horrific skin disease. Oh yeah, and it's itchy.

My main job's challenge has changed again. Now it's to be fast in everything I do, while multitasking and prioritizing. there is literally one thing after another until it's time to leave, and usually there's still a ton left to do. I've never gotten out on time. And today, thanks to all the fish-bagging, I can't deny that there is a pungent odour hanging around me. In fact as I was walking home today, I tasted fish in my mouth! yes, as if the salmon oil had somehow gotten THERE, too.

Even when I don't smell fish, Shawn does. He's always sniffing delicately around the house saying he smells something fishy. And there I am, sitting in freshly laundered clothes from top to bottom, just out of the shower, and there is nothing I've worn at work even remotely around. How - ?






3 comments:

  1. oh honey. it IS a skin disease. you HAVE grown scales. I'm so sorry, but it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. pretty soon brit will be bagging YOU in pieces and selling you off to hungry customers.

    i laughed at shawn's gingerly sniffing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. um - wait, what?! you can't just say something so morbid so casually, yo!!

      Delete