Tuesday, May 7, 2013

shape it up

I'm done my first week of training at Trilogy now. I've gotten over my crab fear. In fact...it's kind of fun how impressed people get when I catch, kill and clean them. Yesterday, some people tipped me for it! My trainer talks a million miles a minute, and it's been incorporated into my job's challenges: how to understand everything she says the first time. I usually catch only the first and last thing. But she's really nice and I like her. I felt this little nudge my first day in fact, it was really subtle, but I had this feeling that I'd be able to work well with her because I "got" the kind of person she was. Time will tell, sahib.

But I really like my job. It's weird because it's a lot of hard work, and some of it is downright gross, but I get a lot of personal satisfaction out of it and overcoming all the challenges. It's taken me awhile to learn that I need that in a job. I thought the easy-going, slow jobs were where it's at for me, but after working two of them and now doing this one, I see differently. It's an interesting dynamic, because I need to deal with things that are hard for me in order to be happy. It was a hard one to accept. But I'm there now. And I want to share my plan.

It's been forming now in my brain for awhile. It all started with France getting Shawn all excited about starting an essential oils and lotions type of business. I was on board right away, I love the idea of it, but I think Shawn's original excitement was because he thought it would be something he could do quickly to make money and not have to get a job. Once he realized it would take more than that, his enthusiasm quickly ebbed...but I still love the idea and I'm going to go for it. My plan is to work a steady job to make money while I start this up. I'm also practicing my writing. I'm going to write a book. A novel. It's something I've started doing more in my free time. It's so much more accessible than painting for me right now. That's the shape of my future at the moment! So, yeah, I'm now a person with a plan. And I like it! I like it a lot!

I'm going to go write some poetry!!




4 comments:

  1. I think that is awesome, go 'fub! can't wait to read the beginnings of your novel! fubnovel. fub-vel. It's funny, I realized the same thing back when I still worked. The beginning of a job I always enjoyed, because of the challenges of learning everything, but once I got the hang of it, work quickly became a drudgery that I could barely stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good for you,crab killer! incidentally i am a crab eater. ...hand in hand.... 'time will tell, sahib', were you directing this comment to my brown shoe, the brun sahib? you must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, not to steal brun sahib's thunder, but 'fub actually got me a new pair of sahibs! but they can be sahib friends...?

      Delete